Monday, December 31, 2012

The End of 2012

How does this year end, then? In sorrow for the loss of children's lives? In astonishment at the folly of some solutions to problems of too much violence? In shame and dismay that in the 21st century, women in India (and elsewhere) must still fear for their safety? In hope that this will change? In panic at the future of the only planet we can call home?

I'm beginning to think that if there's one thing we can count on in life, it's change. Like it, hate it, resist it, deny it, change is the only real deal. We'd better embrace it, or we'll fool ourselves into extinction.

Tim Wynne-Jones's beautiful post on the VCFA faculty blog speaks to many things but what struck me as I read it is how often it made me change my mind--just when I thought I understood where he was heading with the anecdote, the perspective shifted, the ground fell away beneath my logical mind.

Peace to all, if only for the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment