Monday, May 23, 2011

The Grand Plan Blog Tour, Day 2: Abigail Halpin, art, book trailer on Got Story? Countdown

When I wrote The Grand Plan to Fix Everything, I had no idea there was going to be interior art in the book. I didn't have much of a preconception of what Dini looked like. That  didn't matter so much to me. I was more concerned with her thoughts, moods, the tone of her voice, her gestures, the way she moved through scenes and what she longed to make of her life. To my surprise and delight, when I saw the first mockup of the cover art, there she was, my girl Dini, and how on earth did she look so perfectly herself? 

The creation of visual art from the cues embedded in text is a purely magical thing to a word-shuffler like me,  even though I know that it's as much about hard work and persistence as any other art form. Today, illustrator Abigail Halpin and art director Debra Sfetsios join Joy Chu on Got Story? Countdown to discuss the art in The Grand Plan to Fix Everything.

I suppose you could say that book trailers are becoming an art form, derived from books but creative in their own way. Thanks for the trailer of The Grand Plan To Fix Everything are due to my son, Nikhil Krishnaswamy. He did this one as a favor to me but he's now intrigued enough with these short, pointed little movies to consider making more of them. Contact Nikhil by e-mail. (Note: Before you send that message, fix the "at" and the "dot" in the address first, as it's cleverly set up right now to deflect spam).  There's more on the trailer as well today, on Got Story? Countdown

Tomorrow, I navigate the boundaries between reality and fiction with Marjorie Coughlan on PaperTigers.

No comments:

Post a Comment