Thursday, April 14, 2011

YA A to Z in Austin

I'm off to Austin to speak at the very first YA A to Z conference sponsored by the Writers' League of Texas.

What am I, a picture book and middle grade writer, doing speaking at a YA conference? Oh, you may ask!

Here's the thing. A novel is a novel. Story is story. And revision (the thing I'll be talking about in my workshop session) is its own beast, regardless of the audience. Over the years, and through more than a dozen books, I've managed to learn a little something about wrangling words onto the page. Well, we shall see. I always come away from such events feeling I've learned more than I've taught.

And I'll be reading from galleys of The Grand Plan at a private reading, and visiting a couple of schools. After which I will need to scurry back to my desk, chain myself to it, and begin revising the sequel to The Grand Plan. Another novel under contract awaits its turn as well. Clearly, this is going to be the revision year. As the Cheshire Cat said to Alice, where you go with such things "depends a good deal on where you want to get to."


1 comment: