Sunday, January 02, 2011

Welcome 2011

An old dead tree behind my house keeled over last night under the weight of snow. Just leaned down into the slope behind it, a bit like the old year coming to an end. Now we no longer have to decide, should we cut it or not? "It's a fire hazard" vs. "the woodpeckers love it." The woodpeckers have won, and the beetles and all kinds of other small things that can use a downed tree.

I'm not very good with resolutions, but visualizations I can handle. Here are a few things I'd like to visualize for this year ahead.
  1. a cleaned up, sorted out set of bookshelves
  2. a balance between work I have to do and work I want to do
  3. good books to read
  4. perspectives on story, slanted ones welcome
  5. the sense to let a tree deal with time in its own way and gratitude for being there when it does

5 comments:

  1. Many blessings to you in the New Year, Uma! I hope to see you in the near future. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then here's to balance, perspective, good sense, good books, and sorted out bookshelves. Hope you have a wonderful 2011, Uma. May all your visualizations come true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am trying to let the tree in my backyard make up its own mind. I just hope when it lies down it's not onto my house.

    Most happy new year to you, Uma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Cyn and Nandini. Cyn I'm going to do my darnedest to see you in the near future! Nandini, yours too--stay on the trail, sister! P.D.H, that's the trick, isn't it, to judge the slope of the land. Everything depends on that. You may be interested in the essay I wrote for PaperTigers on the subject, linked from this blog post: http://www.papertigers.org/wordpress/uma-krishnaswami-returns-to-essential-questions/

    In case that doesn't work here's the tiny URL:
    http://tinyurl.com/2932r8c

    ReplyDelete