Monday, May 10, 2010

Singapore Connections, Part 1

My big mistake on this trip to the City of Lions (no lions--another story) was that I forgot my camera! But I've been was promised pictures by others who did better on that score, so perhaps a few will be forthcoming here's one. Thanks, Kirk Palmer and Lisa Hogan.

A big thank you to Singapore American School, where I spoke to children in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grades, and ended the day with a brief session with teachers. The campus is beautiful (and huge--the school feels like a small city). The libraries (yes, more than one, how about that?) were full to overflowing with materials, with little nooks that invited kids to curl up with a book. The students were an amazing bunch as well: curious, questioning, responsive, attentive. Many were third culture kids, born in one country, with parents from one or more countries, and living now in Singapore, which of course has a crossroads culture all its own. Thank you all for a wonderful visit.

As always our connections were through story. I have to confess that by the time I got to meet with the teachers I was teetering on the edge of severe jet-lag. Still, we read, wrote and talked about story together. They read a draft (very draft) manuscript of mine, and raised marvelous questions that will help me along when and if that work ever sees ink.

A special thanks to Kirk Palmer and Sally Burk, Primary and Intermediate librarians. I'm so grateful to you for your generous hospitality. You also made me laugh until my sides hurt, which goes above and beyond the usual expectations related to hosting a visiting author!

3 comments:

  1. Singapore has an excellent school!
    The third culture kid lifestyle is part of what makes the international school experience so unique and wonderful.

    I'm glad you had a great visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Now we want to hear stories about reactions to 'Out of the Way! Out of the Way!' Please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love story connections! And I'm glad you had a good visit. :)

    ReplyDelete