Thursday, February 25, 2010

Out of the Way! Out of the Way!

Beyond sadness, life goes on, work goes on, and the words are starting to return as well.

Coming soon, my new picture book from Tulika Books, titled Out of the Way! Out of the Way!

No, you're not seeing double, the title does repeat itself. The allegorical story is about a tree and a road making room for each other, while a boy who knows them both grows along with them.

The additional oddity here is that the bylines also repeat themselves--sort of. This book is illustrated by my almost-namesake, artist Uma Krishnaswamy. See "our" Cynsations interview.

I got to meet Uma briefly this time and see the beautiful art she has created for this book.

The book will be published in English and 8 Indian languages. I'm not sure how the i and y will get differentiated in all those scripts in which an "ee" sound is an "ee" sound, "i" and "y" get written the same, and Krishnaswami=Krishnaswamy.

8 comments:

  1. Hooray! Will it be available in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO glad your words are returning.

    I'm excited to read this book! 8 Indian languages. Very, very cool. I bet it is so incredible to see all those artistic scripts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that you and the "other" Uma got together. I admire you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pooja Once the book is published, you can buy it online at www.tulikabooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, for once, I'll be able to get my hands on a book without having to order it from the US. Yeah ! And how nice, and fun, to have two talented Uma K. on the same cover...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful boook by the two Umas as well as a delightful interview on Cynsations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had the I and Y confusion before :)

    Right now, i think it is a double treat with both Umas in the same book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uma - the book looks WONDERFUL! Warm luscious colors, energy, humor - I can't wait to have it in my hands.

    ReplyDelete