Saturday, December 27, 2008

Mahler for the Children of AIDS

On Monday, Jan. 12, 2009, Singapore-born South Asian-American conductor George Mathew is organizing his charity concert, "Mahler for the Children of AIDS," at Carnegie Hall. The concert will raise funds and public awareness for pediatric AIDS and the Prevention-of-Mother-To-Child Transmission (PMTCT) of HIV worldwide but especially in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa. SAJA BlogTalkRadio features an interview with Mathew, in which he discusses the concert, the world of Western classical music, his efforts to raise interest in the form in the US and in India, and what it's like to be an Indian-American at the highest levels of this kind of music. Mathew says some really interesting things about creative process, the creation of social narrative, and the implications for a conflict-ridden world.

2 comments:

  1. Uma-

    Hi! You will not remember me, but I was so happy when I stumbled upon your blog. I "met" you on the bookartists yahoo group four or five years ago. Can't believe it was so long ago. I left it because I needed to focus 100% on writing. But I miss many of the people and you are one.

    ReplyDelete