Thursday, November 27, 2008

Amadi's Snowman: Katia's Global Virtual Tour, day 28

Katia Novet Saint-Lot is putting a new spin on the book tour, using her blog, Scribbly Katia to make an incredible array of connections, all revolving around her picture book, Amadi's Snowman. Katia writes, "One of the central themes of this book tour was to create avenues for children from different parts of the world to think and talk about reading, and books." The blog tour even attracted attention from Publishers Weekly.

And today, Katia's virtual book tour drops in here for an interview with–no, not Katia, but Amadi himself.

[U] Hi Amadi. Congratulations on your book and on the book your story's in. I see you and Mama Katia have been talking to a lot of people. I hope you don't mind one more set of questions. Can you tell readers a little bit about the very first draft in which you appeared? How long ago was that? And what did it look like? Anything else you want to tell readers about it?
[A] Hello Auntie Uma, and thank you for taking part in the blog tour and for being such a good teacher and friend to Mama Katia. She thinks the world of you, you know. Now, the very first draft. It was about six years ago, so I was just a child. I’m a real man, now. In the first draft, I found the book with the snowman and the boy all bundled up in clothes in the same place, under the market book stall. It was really cosy and quiet under that book stall, and I sat and picked up the book and stared at the cover, wondering about that boy and that strange animal with a carrot for a nose, and then, the boy in the book spoke to me. He gave me quite a fright. I jumped and I looked around, because I couldn’t believe it. His name was Thomas. We had a whole dialogue and we even challenged each other, too: I didn’t know about snow, but Thomas didn’t know about the harmattan, which made us equal, in a way. Also, in the very, very first draft, Ifeanyi (that was my first name, as you know) didn’t get the book from Mrs. Chikodili. Mama Katia had already had that idea, but she didn’t dare use it. This was her very first completed story, and she says that she still had much to learn about stories, and about letting them and the characters take the author where they want/need to go. She’s looking over my shoulder right now, and just said to add that she’s still learning.

[U] How did that draft change? How many revisions did Mama Katia do? How did you change through those revisions?
[A] Mama Katia received a letter from an editor who really liked the story, but said to take out the fantasy element and ground the story in reality. So, Thomas was removed, and Chima entered. There were about 9 big revisions, but I checked the computer and there are numbers up to 25 in the Ifeanyi file. As for the way I changed, it’s interesting, because I can see, now, that the changes were like a mirror to my thoughts. Most of the story was very much in place early on, but it had to express all my feelings, and the progression (from the beginning when I will not hear about learning how to read, until I finally accept and understand that I’ve changed my mind) in little scenes that made sense and allowed the story to flow like a river. It had to feel true and leave the reader feeling happy, too.

[U] Is your fiction-world mama happy with your book?
[A] Well, my mom is a mom. She was really happy and proud that my story was going to be made into a book. She did have some issues about the way she looks in the pictures, and some other things. She’s a woman, you know? Always fussing about their looks, and little details that nobody else notices. But overall, yes, she’s happy, especially when she sees how well the book is received. She’s a true literacy advocate, my mother - even though she doesn’t even know these words.

[U] What's happened in your life since the end of Amadi's Snowman?
[A] I’ve learned how to read, and look at me, now, I can type on the computer and answer your questions. I help young boys in my village to learn how to read, and I scold them if I see them hanging out at the market instead of being at school. I am also teaching my mother how to read. At first, she said she was too old, but I kept insisting until she said yes, and now she is really catching up. She is strong and really smart, my mother.

[U] If you could tell writers one thing about putting a picture book kid character together, what would that be?
[A] Try and make your author self as little as a speck of dirt, get inside the mind of your character, and listen very carefully: what is he or she saying? What is he or she feeling?

[U] Thanks, Amadi. Good luck and happy reading.
[A] Thank YOU, Auntie Uma.

And thanks to Katia for letting me come along on this interesting journey.

9 comments:

  1. I love "make the author self as little as a speck of dirt"--what magic is in that phrase.
    Janet from PaperTigers

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful, isn't it? And so true. It's only when I get my controlling or obstructing self out of the way that the story can take the shape it needs. I have a theory about this. I think we try to protect ourselves by following the easier paths of diversions, distractions, and overly obvious plot, so that we don't have to fail at the more complex reality that the story promises. And Katia has done such a wonderful job in this book of staying true to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'make the author self as little as a speck of dirt' is a great visual. I will try that from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Uma,

    Great interview with Amadi. It would have been fun to see the progression from start to finish. Isn't Katia's virtual tour awesome?

    I was just telling Paula today I was missing your class.

    Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, it was good work, but I can't ever see all the patterns emerging from one draft to the next. Only when it's all over and the story has become a book. This is certainly true of my own work, but it's also true to some degree of students' work, especially when I'm reading and commenting on successive versions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, I agree with Uma, it's easy to say, after the fact, that's how the story progressed, and to see that progression in the character, but the ways in which it actually happens remain rather mysterious and cryptic. And it's not like I now have a blue print that I can use in the next story... Do I wish :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uma/Katia, I love this interview! It's wonderful to see what happened to Amadi after he found his snowman book. Katia, you have such great ideas. From your virtual book tour to this interview with Amadi himself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, Nandini, the interview with Amadi himself was Uma's idea. I'm revisiting blogs to change the links on my website and found this comment that I had not seen yet. We have a saying in French : we must give back to Cesar what belongs to Cesar... :) Thank you for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know the expression Katia, but oh dear--no Caesar, me :-) I just believe in spreading the love when I can.

    ReplyDelete