Sunday, July 29, 2007

Shen's Blog on crossing cultural borders

Shen's Blog is running a six-week series, Crossing Cultural Borders, that explores the world of multicultural children's literature. It's an interesting and intelligent exploration. It calls on us to rethink the little box, beautiful and lacquered as it might be, in which multiculti books are so often placed and then forgotten. Here you will find reflections on portal fantasies, varying concepts of home, the notion that having more than one home is normal. You'll find a re-landscaping of the hero's journey (about time, I say!), American boys abroad, discovering roots, and much much more. Thank you, Emily Jiang.

2 comments:

  1. You're very welcome, Uma. Thank you for writing Naming Maya, a very enjoyable reading experience. How I wish I could be back in Chennai!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Uma,
    I totally agree with you. I have been reading all the posts with utmost interest. And now, I have even more titles on my ever-expanding list of books to read :)
    Katia

    ReplyDelete