Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Pooja's Book, Mama's Saris


Luscious and rich and drenched in memory, Pooja Makhijani's gorgeous picture book, Mama's Saris, arrived in my mailbox in the middle of a hectic week. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it, and now I can't put it down. Just in time for Mother's Day, try this bonding experience in silk and cotton, zari and pleat and fold. Pooja captures perfectly that childhood longing to grow up, dress up, make believe. A glossary for those who need it, an author's note for the grownups. But young girls will go for the luminous color and the deftly wrapped text, and moms who don't have saris on hand might need to extend their dress-up wardrobes. The art by Elena Gomez shines. Congratulations, Pooja and Elena!

2 comments:

  1. As I wrote on SepiaMutiny, your kind words mean the world to me. I have admired your work for so long; your amazing books inspire me and encourage me to become a better writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Pooja. It's been worth the wait for this one.

    ReplyDelete